Wednesday, May 20

Grub, Bishan Park

I really like GRUB. Given the hype and hoopla, I wasn't expecting to like it this much yet somehow the combination of moriesh grub, friendly service and relaxing atmosphere made for a lovely evening out. 

We had to wait a while for an indoor table and my poor dad who doesn't take well to heat was looking rather miserable. Upon seeing his distress, a waitstaff offered my dad a cold drink and a stool - given how busy all the staff were, it was very considerate of him to offer. 

There were eight of us and after giving up on indoor sitting, we spilled over two tables in the outdoor area. Considering the humidity, this didn't seem like the best option but on hindsight, with two kids, I think the acoustics in the indoor area would have been an issue. It was rather pleasant out there in the evening but I can imagine how stiffing warm it will be in the day. 


I knew I had to order the salted egg chicken drumlets. Yes, salted egg dishes have become ubiquitous and I fall for it every single time. It was a pity the salted egg flavour was weak though the drumlets were tastefully seasoned and crispy.


KW ordered the GRUB Double Cheeseburger, which I was lucky enough to steal bites of. Juicy, beef patties made from 100% New Zealand grassfed beef chuck, topped off with melted Monterey Jack cheese and sandwiched between soft squishy buns. For a person who isn't into burgers, I thought this was a knock-out. Especially loved the wham-bam beefiness of those patties!

On the other table, two orders of the crispy fish burger were placed - there is a very good chance either KW or myself will be ordering that the next time round.


I ordered one of their signature dishes - the slow cooked pork belly, which had been sous-vided for a good 24 hours and pan-seared for some colour and flavour. What resulted was a melt-in-your-mouth chunk of porky goodness. I didn't care for the odd texture of the sautéed leeks but the handmade purple sweet potato mash was a delectable companion.


My elder sister insisted on ordering the mentaiko fries while I was prepared to dismiss it as pure hype. Now the same awesome waiter, who offered by dad the seat and drink, advised us not to get the mentaiko fries but instead order the mentaiko mayo as an add-on as our mains came with lots of fries.    Seriously, this guy saved us a few bucks but earned plenty of goodwill for the restaurant, which you bet translates to return visits. The mentaiko mayo, by the way, was freakin' amazing.


I had my heart set on the Dark Chocolate Truffle Cake as soon as I saw it in the display case. Now, there are chocolate cakes and there are death-by-chocolate chocolate cakes. This, I am happy to report, belonged to the latter category. Rich sacher truffle cake, dark chocolate mousse and a cocoa cookie crumb... it was smotheringly rich. I ordered a scoop of vanilla ice cream to go with it because go big or go home right? The vanilla flavour tasted just about as real as Milli Vanilli but luckily I am no vanilla snob.

I found out later the cakes are from Fix Cafe and you can order whole cakes here.


In addition to other cakes that I didn't try, we also ordered a batch of churros that were heavily dusted with cinnamon sugar, and served alongside creme anglaise and chocolate sauce. Finishing it calls for an extra round around Bishan Park - you have been warned, my friend.

No comments: